Consular Services

Here are some relevant services that India's missions can provide to you. Please note that these services are provided directly by the Consular or other Wings of the Embassy of India or the Consulate Generals of India around the U.S., and the India Student Hub team cannot provide advice on these services.

Emergency Travel Document: Emergency Certificate is a one-way travel document that authorizes an Indian citizen to enter India in an emergency. Emergency Certificate is issued to individuals who have lost their passports; their passports have been stolen or damaged.

Passport Services: Applying for an Indian passport is possible while an Indian citizen is overseas. All citizens overseas must be in possession of a valid passport. Students should note that some nations require your passport to be valid for more than 6 months when you enter their nation. Consult your local mission's website for more information; they will redirect you to CKGS - the Government's provider to renew passports.

Visa Services: Foreign citizens can apply for a visa to visit India. More information on visas is here.

Overseas Citizen of India Card: Foreign nationals who wish to register themselves as overseas citizens of India may visit their website to apply for an OCI card to travel to India. India's constitution does not allow for dual citizenship, this must not be confused with citizenship to India. Contact your local mission for more information.

Conversion of PIO card to OCI card: Existing PIO card holders should migrate to OCI cards.

Renunciation of Indian Citizenship: Citizens who acquire citizenship of another nation are required to renounce their Indian citizenship, as India does not provide for dual citizenship.

Miscellaneous Services: Some other services Indian missions provide include:

  • Life Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Power of Attorney / Affidavits relating to property or finances
  • Registration of Birth
  • Attestation of Will
  • Attestation of Documents
  • Birth Certificate (or non-availability of birth certificate)
  • Affidavit for Child's Passport to be issued in India
  • NRI Certificate
  • Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)
  • No Obligation to Return to India (NORI)
  • No-objection certificate to carry mortal remains / ashes
  • Attestation of Death Certificate

For other services, please contact the Embassy or Consulates directly depending on your region of jurisdiction.